What is Virtual Physiotherapy?
Virtual physiotherapy or Telehealth is delivering physiotherapy services remotely, preferably via video conference calls (like FaceTime or WhatsApp). These sessions are one-on-one with a Registered Physiotherapist.
What can a physiotherapist do virtually?
Your physiotherapist will be able to:
1. Take a thorough history of what you are seeking treatment for
2. Ask you to show the area of pain and check your posture
3. Get you to do certain movements to check if you have limitations in range of motion and check your strength and function
4. Formulate a clinical diagnosis of what may be causing your symptoms
5. Provide a plan of care for you consisting of education, pain relieving modalities you can do at home, exercises, self massage techniques, taping, bracing and other recommendations.
What we can’t provide virtually?
● Acupuncture/dry needling
● Manual therapy (hands on treatments)
How would this work, technically?
● You give us a call or click on book an appointment and we book a virtual appointment for you
● You will receive an appointment confirmation email along with your intake form and consent form and a link for the virtual appointment.
● At the time of your appointment you click on the link from your phone, tablet, laptop or desktop and wait for your physiotherapist to show up on your screen and your session will begin.
Who can benefit from Virtual Physiotherapy?
Anyone experiencing pain or stiffness, decreased mobility
Pregnant and postpartum women who want to get assessment and treatment related to pelvic floor, core, rectus diastasis and education on birthing and breastfeeding
Babies with torticollis and kids experiencing growing pains
People experiencing vertigo and dizziness
Is Virtual Physiotherapy as effective as In-person hands on treatments?
This is a common question we get asked and the answer is that yes it is!
Recent studies and patient experience with virtual physiotherapy have indicated that approximately 80% of people find virtual physiotherapy effective in management of their symptoms.
Here is a testimonial from one of our patients who used virtual physiotherapy recently:
“A welcoming place giving outstanding care. Incredibly grateful for personal support during this challenging time.” Carole A.
Is Virtual Physiotherapy covered by my insurance?
Given the current situation, many insurers are agreeing to cover virtual physiotherapy. The list is growing daily. At this time Sunlife, Great West Life, Manulife, Blue Cross are covering it. As always, we would encourage you to contact your individual provider because all plans are different.
Still not sure if Virtual Physiotherapy is right for you?
We at New Age Physio can definitely appreciate you being nervous to try something new. You can always call or email us to discuss whether this would be the best option for you! We would also be more than happy to do a “test” or trial run to make sure you are able to connect and are comfortable with receiving care in this way.
Hassle FREE ONLINE appointment booking
You may book your appointment online with us. Please note that confirmation may take up to 24 hours.