Who are Chiropodists?
Chiropodists are a regulated foot care specialists who provide assessment and treatment for a wide array of foot and ankle problems. Chiropody involves:
- Providing consultation to patients on how to prevent foot problems
- Assessing and treating diabetic feet, heel pain, warts, ingrown toenails, corns and calluses, foot deformities, ulcers and infections
- Performing a detailed biomechanical examination and prescribing custom orthotics and modified orthopedic footwear
- Taking measurements and fitting compression socks
Custom orthotic devices
Custom orthotics are a medical device that is custom made to manage several foot conditions and to improve the function of the foot. They are designed to realign the structures of the foot into their optimal anatomical position in order to prevent pain and development of foot deformities.
Conditions treated by custom orthotics include
- Flat feet
- High arched feet
- Heel pain due to plantar fasciitis or heel spurs
- Recurrent ankle sprains
- Pain in feet, ankle, knee, hips, back
- Altered gait patterns such as toe in and toe out walking
- Shin splints
- Diabetic feet
- Arthritic feet
At New Age Physio, all foot orthotics that are dispensed are custom made specifically for each foot and are not over the counter arch supports. A detailed foot biomechanical exam and gait analysis are performed to determine if custom orthotics is an appropriate choice of treatment for your condition. If you do require custom orthotics then a plaster impression of each foot is obtained and sent to a lab for fabrication.
Compression socks are a specialized hosiery designed to prevent or control swelling in legs. They are made from an elastic material providing graded compression which effectively improves circulation in the lower extremity, reduces swelling and prevents complicated and painful disorders.
Types of conditions that can benefit from compression socks
- Swollen feet, ankles and legs
- Varicose and spider veins
- Post-operative care
- Pregnancy-induced swelling
- Tired and achy legs
At New Age Physio we have a team of health professionals who have specific training and are Custom-Fitters for JOBST compression products. Chiropody and foot treatment are just some ways we make our patients healthier.